10 Years Ago with Joanne Mires


Edited from the Courier Weekend

Week of Friday, Nov. 6, 2009

Bridge set to open Nov. 16

St. Stephen – The third international bridge spanning the St. Croix River between the border communities of St. Stephen and Calais will be fully functional on Nov. 16.

That’s the official word from Ted Woo, the public affairs liaison with the United States Customs and Border Protection Services.

“It’s a big, brand new infrastructure that will require some tweaking,” Woo said of the new bridge, explaining the delay before the official bridge opening ceremonies, which are set for Nov. 23.

Woo said the building of the bridge and the adjoining Canadian and American customs facilities has been “a huge, huge undertaking.”

Man and his dog near the top

Pennfield – A Charlotte County native and his dog recently finished in the top one-third in a world championship for German shepherd dogs.

Darin Clarke, and his dog Helga Vom Kiebitzende, travelled to Krefeld, Germany, to compete in the championship.

Clarke was a member of the Blacks Harbour police force from 1990 to 1993 and has been a member of the Saint John City Police since then.

Going to the world championship in Germany was a dream come true, he said.

It’s no Hollywood and Vine

It’s no Hollywood and Vine, where famous actors have stars embedded in a Walk of Fame, but to Dot Larsen, the beloved crossing guard who escorts children across King Street to and from St. Stephen Elementary School, this unexpected gift is just as thrilling. A few weeks ago, Aliant crews were working in the area and when they finished up, Larsen noticed small, colourful, plastic discs embedded in the cement sidewalk by her crosswalk spelling out “Dot’s – Xing.” While no one knows for sure who is responsible, Larsen is pleased. “It’s neat. It’s just perfect,” she said.

20 YEARS AGO – 1999

Entering the new century

As part of the thousands of dollars worth of renovations at the Fundy Arena, a new Zamboni was acquired to replace an older model machine that was slowly outliving its use. When the new season at the Fundy Arena started this bright new white machine took to the ice. In addition to the Zamboni, new lighting, fresh paint, new scoreboard, and several other changes were made to the facility with a number of businesses, organizations, and individuals helping make it all happen.

Flames burn bright in St. Andrews

Practice a big hit with locals

St. Andrews – The Saint John Flames of the American Hockey League took their practice on the road Tuesday with a trip to St. Andrews.

The stop in St. Andrews was the first in what will be a number of stops in southern New Brunswick hockey arenas over the winter months. Held in conjunction with NBTel, the special nights include an on-ice practice session where fans can watch coach Rick Vaive put the Flames through their paces for about an hour.

30 YEARS AGO – 1989

Boston Bruin defenseman Don Sweeney of St. Stephen has been on a real-life rollercoaster of late. With the National Hockey League season barely a month old, Sweeney has already been sent down to the club’s American hockey league affiliate, the Maine Mariners twice, and twice recalled to the big team.

In his first game back from his latest stint in Portland, Sweeney saw icetime in the critical final minute of a 3-3 tie with Buffalo, Saturday night at Boston Garden. Coach Mike Milbury was impressed enough to get Sweeney a regular shift in overtime and it paid off. The former star from Harvard patrolled the blueline, the Bruins held onto the tie and gained a point against one of the hottest teams in the league.

40 YEARS AGO – 1979

RCMP recover radioactive unit

A radioactive devise lost en route to the Point Lepreau nuclear generating station was found intact Tuesday by the RCMP in a warehouse in Saint John.

The RCMP said the unit, to be used to test the soundness of welding in the plant, was inside the housing for a large pump in the warehouse.

The device contains radioactive iridium and had been missing since Sept. 27 when it was shipped by truck from near Montreal. It was not reported missing to the public until Nov. 2, when a warning went out that opening the casing of the unit could be fatal, and a far-reaching search was launched.