Courier columns – 30 Years Ago with Joanne Mires

Looking back at the history and stories of Charlotte County

Edited from the Saint Croix Courier, the week of Tuesday, March 26, 1991

News Around Grand Manan – Another office to be closed

Seal Cove village has received word of the closing of their Post Office in April. This will make the fourth rural office on the island to be closed under the federal government’s postal policy. Ingalls Head was the first to go, followed by Woodwards Cove and then Castalia. That leaves Grand Harbour, North Head and White Head still operating under a cloudy future. Castalia village was fortunate to have the building purchased as a store and postal services carried on under the same roof. Seal Cove is working on the same possibility. Woodwards Cove and Ingalls Head have their mail delivery under the group box system with no other services. Many pick up their mail at Castalia or Grand Harbour.

McAdam resident reaches 100

McAdam – Frank Estabrooks had a very special day Monday. He reached the magic age of 100 years.

For the occasion there was a special party Sunday at Wauklehegan Manor. Estabrooks, who was a banker for much of his working life, even had a visit from a vice-president of the institution he worked for longest, the Bank of Nova Scotia.

Florida comes to CICS

On Friday, March 1, elementary students from Grades 1-6 at Campobello Island Consolidated School celebrated a day in Florida on Campobello Island.

The children dressed up like Floridian vacationers and Disney characters. The students also raced remote control cars in a Daytona race event, Disney trivia, hula dancing and games were played in the main gym.

60 YEARS AGO – 1961

Teacher averts tragedy

Quick thinking on the part of a Lawrence Station School teacher averted a possible tragedy Monday morning. Miss Muriel Anderson, teacher of grades one to four in the one-room school, prevented what could have been a disastrous fire. Shortly after noon, when the children were preparing to eat their lunch, a gust of wind swept through the building and tore a stove pipe from the wall. As the room filled with smoke, Miss Anderson bundled up the children and sent them outside, telling one of the older children to fetch the janitor. Upon arrival of the janitor, he and Miss Anderson extinguished the fire and resurrected the stovepipe. When the stovepipe fell it just missed striking one of the 35 young pupils on the head. There is only one door in the school, which is over 100 years old. One person from the area said “fire almost destroyed a community monument” when talking of the event.

Father – son on weekly executive

S.D. Granville, St. Stephen, and his son, Richard A., were elected to executive positions of the New Brunswick Newspapers Association at their annual convention in Fredericton last week. The senior Granville was re-elected honorary president while his son was re-elected as director of the association.

90 YEARS AGO – 1931

New building assured

Plans for the proposed new block of business places on Water Street on the site of the buildings destroyed in the Dry Goods Row fire of January 1930 are progressing satisfactorily and the success of the project is now believed assured. The financial details in connection with the building are being arranged this week. Incorporation of the company which will construct and own the building was announced in the Royal Gazette last week under the name, “St. Stephen Development, Limited”, with a capital of $30,000 divided into 300 shares of $100 each. J.W. Scovil, W.G. DeWolfe, and Harold Haley are the incorporators.

The results of the annual technical inspection of signalling sections given by District Orders by Brigadier C.F. Constantine, D.S.O., O.C. Military District No. 7, indicate that the best showing in the Province of New Brunswick was made by the signaling section of the York regiment under command of Lt. Col. G. Stuart Ryder of St. Stephen. The second place is taken by 8th Hussars. The York regiment ranked sixth in the Dominion Standings.

120 YEARS AGO – 1901

You can now call “hello” to Dr. W.H. Laughlin at Milltown and R.W. Whitlock, St. Stephen. They have telephones in their houses.

Howard Dinsmore was severely injured by an accident in Ganong Bros.’ factory on Thursday afternoon. He was operating the freight elevator when some of the gearing failed to do its work. The elevator was at the second storey, with Mr. Dinsmore on it, and descended with great rapidity to the cellar floor. When assistance reached him it was found that Mr. Dinsmore had received several injuries to a wrist and ankle and other bruises. One ear was nearly severed. Dr. Deinstadt was quickly summoned and dressed the wound, after which he was removed to his home. No bones were broken but the young man was unconscious for a time and had suffered much pain.

Joanne Mires has been working for The Saint Croix Courier since the fall of 1982, and began writing her 30 Years Ago column in 1994.