Courier columns; 30 Years Ago with Joanne Mires

Edited from The Saint Croix Courier, Nov. 5, 1991

Another storm devastates Island weirs

Grand Manan – For the second time this year, a storm has destroyed a significant portion of the weir fishery of Grand Manan, this time severely mauling a dozen weirs or more.

All along the eastern side of the island, waves pounded, then demolished the fixed nets of fisherman after fisherman. Without exception, they say it is the worst Northeaster they have seen in their lives.

Weirs along Pettes Cove and Whale Cove were damaged, along with weirs further south. Two along Cheney’s Passage were hit, and according to the GMFA, the zone of damage on White Head ended just about where the zone of damage of Hurricane Bob began.

Retirement party

On Oct. 23, 1991, workers at Connors Bros. sardine canning factory at Seal Cove gathered in the plant’s cafeteria, to honor Mansell Harvey on his retirement after a long period of service as factory manager. The employees served a buffet lunch and a retirement cake was presented to Mansell by Betty Foote and Carrie Cronk. A wallet was presented to the honored guest by Linda Guptill and a plaque on behalf of all the employees by Claude Daggett.

Do you remember Calais Observatory?

Calais – Do you remember the Calais Observatory?

Official descriptions of the observatory place it on the corner of Lincoln and North streets, but few people recall the building.

Brand Livingstone, president of the St. Croix Historical Society, was giving tours through Holmes Cottage when a man approached him and asked if he knew the history of the Calais Observatory.

“I didn’t know there had been an observatory in Calais until he asked,” said Livingstone.

According to Livingstone, the observatory was destroyed in 1935. All that remains on Lincoln Street are boulders and a circular hole carved into the rock.

60 YEARS AGO – 1961

Ultra-modern arena for St. Andrews

In commemoration of the birthday of Sir James Dunn, Oct. 29, Lady Dunn, president and chairman of the Sir James Dunn Foundation, is pleased to announce the building of the Sir James Dunn Arena, a completely new and ultra-modern skating and curling rink, which will be presented to the Town of St. Andrews.

Replacing the old St. Andrews Arena, recently condemned, the Sir James Dunn Arena will be located on an entirely new site, a rising property of land on a corner lot, bounded on the front by Reed Avenue and on one side by Harriett Street.

Former St. Stephen man has son in Hollywood

Rolland Smith, Oneida youth in Hollywood, has been rated “excellent” following a screen test with Screen Gems, a subsidiary of Columbia Pictures.

The son of Mr. and Mrs. George H. Smith, 232 Park Ave., Oneida, during his high school years, Rolland was outstanding in the Oneida High School Dramatic Club productions. He was the recipient of a $1,200 scholarship in dramatics to Ithaca College, Ithaca, N.Y. After attending this college for a year, Smith decided to try his luck in Hollywood. He has been residing there since August 1 and has been employed at 20th Century Fox.

Rolland’s father, George H. Smith, was born and brought up in St. Stephen. He was well known as an active player in the Raven’s Hockey Club during the years of 1928-1929.

Briny Briefs

Islanders inspect ferry

A group of Island men, including members of the crew of the Abnaki, last week inspected the car ferry Robert Irwin as the possible answer to Deer Island’s ever-growing ferry traffic.

The ferry, with a capacity somewhat larger than the Abnaki’s, was built for use on the St. John River where it proved to be unsatisfactory on the run for which it was intended.

90 YEARS AGO – 1931

The addition of new machinery at the Canadian cottons plant in Milltown is enabling the mill to give employment to additional female help. This machine performs spinning and weaving operations which up to now have been carried on in the mills from which the local plant bought yarn, and up to the present 12 additional women have been taken on.

The Island Courier

From records brought to light recently, the little Indian Island, one mile long, situated between Deer Island and Campobello Island, can boast, as far as can be ascertained of having been the first military training post in the Passamaquoddy Bay district. The activities of the 3rd Battalion, Charlotte County Militia in the reign of George III have been carefully preserved by the descendants of the Chaffey and Hurley families of Indian Island. The cash accounts cover a period of time from 1823 to 1827 and are in the original handwriting of the officer commanding.

120 YEARS AGO – 1901

The plan for the completion and transfer of the hospital has now been definitely arranged and active work has begun. The Chipman heirs have increased the original gift by undertaking on their own account to equip the hospital so that when it is handed over, it will be ready for the reception of the patients.

St. George – The store of Tayte, Meating & Company is nearing completion. The outside covering is entirely of metal and is something new in this locality.

Joanne Mires has been working for The Saint Croix Courier since the fall of 1982, and began writing her 30 Years Ago column in 1994.