COVID-19 round-up for Thursday, April 2 – province advises to check your sources, feds say stay at home

New Brunswick – Ten new confirmed cases of COVID-19 were announced in the province today. This brings the total number of cases in New Brunswick to 91.

Of these 91 cases, 49 are travel-related, 25 are close contacts of confirmed cases, three are the result of community transmission and 14 remain under investigation.

Five people had been hospitalized but two have since been discharged. Three remain in hospital, and one is in the intensive care unit.

To date, 22 people have recovered.

The new cases are as follows:

  • An individual aged 70-79 in Zone 2 (Saint John region)
  • An individual aged 20-29 in Zone 3 (Fredericton region)
  • An individual aged 30-39 in Zone 3 (Fredericton region)
  • An individual aged 50-59 in Zone 3 (Fredericton region)
  • An individual aged 50-59 in Zone 3 (Fredericton region)
  • An individual aged 60-69 in Zone 3 (Fredericton region)
  • An individual aged 60-69 in Zone 3 (Fredericton region)
  • An individual aged 70-79 in Zone 4 (Edmundston region)
  • An individual aged 70-79 in Zone 4 (Edmundston region)
  • An individual aged 20-29 in Zone 7 (Miramichi region)

In addition to her consistent message of following the mandates of the Emergency Measures Act and all other advice on stopping the spread of the virus, Chief Medical Officer Jennifer Russell today also stressed the importance of stopping the spread of misinformation online.

“Ensure that your information comes from credible sources,” said Russell.

“Be skeptical of what you see on the internet. Question sources. Look for the reliable and trusted information.

“When I am telling you that staying home will save lives, I am telling you the truth.

“When I tell you that maintaining physical distance and keeping your public interactions brief will slow the spread of this virus, I am telling you the truth,” stressed Russell.

“So lets work together so that the truth does not become yet another casualty of the COVID-19 pandemic.”

Premier Blaine Higgs offered credit and thanks to frontline health workers, and urged residents to do their part to flatten the curve and protect those individuals.

Higgs also discussed new aspects added to the provincial Emergency Measures Act.

The new sections include:

  • Campgrounds have been added to the list of business operations that are prohibited from admitting patrons for a two-week period. The owners and managers of premises that permit the seasonal docking of multiple recreational vessels must either prohibit docking or take steps to ensure minimal interaction of people.
  • Owners and occupiers of land are now responsible to take all reasonable steps to prevent social or recreational gatherings.
  • Open fires are prohibited until May 1.
  • Adjustments have been made at the new border control points to allow people to get to work, to see their children, and to access necessities.
  • Everyone is prohibited from knowingly approaching within two metres of another person, except members of their household or as needed for work.

Of the last tenant, Higgs said, “This is directed straight at the small number of people who…just don’t respect the physical distancing.

“Those who don’t follow advice and won’t respond to warnings now face the risk of being charged for violating the order.”

The latest version of the declaration is available online.

For information on the New Brunswick Workers Emergency Income Benefit, and updates on COVID-19 in the province, go to www.gnb.ca/coronavirus

From Rideau Cottage in Ottawa, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau today spoke about collaboration and innovation, and working as “Team Canada”.

He mentioned collaborative efforts between the provinces and the federal government, how businesses have been innovative, and offered solutions on manufacturing needed supplies, and used the example of the efforts put forward into supplying much needed masks to the country’s healthcare workers.

“But I know a lot of people are still wondering when this will get better or how much worse it might become. You want to see the numbers and the predictions. You want to wake up in the morning and look online for the latest, more credible data you can find. You want to plan. You want to prepare for the worst; you want to know what to be hopeful about. I know,” said Trudeau.

“But the biggest variable in shaping these projections is you and your behaviour. You must listen to the world-class doctors who are already sharing the best available information and advice. Ignoring them puts lives at risk. It’s up to you to do the right thing.

“While many of you are staying home and limiting trips to the grocery store, too many still aren’t.

“What the experts are telling us is that we must do everything we can today and tomorrow to set us on the right path for next week and next month.

“Every single one of us has to do their part. We must all sacrifice our routine so that life will return to normal at some point,” he added.

As of 11 a.m. on Thursday, April 2, there were 10,132 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Canada. Quebec still holds the greatest number at 4611, and Ontario is next with 2793.

For all the national updates on COVID-19, links to the Canada Emergency Relief Benefit application and information, and self-assessment tool, go to Canada. ca

editor@stcroixcourier.ca