COVID-19 round-up for Tuesday, Nov. 10 to Monday, Nov. 16

New Brunswick – Another week, another litany of COVID-19 cases in the province. Though Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Jennifer Russell, and Premier Blaine Higgs have gone an extended period without any live COVID briefings, daily updates are still available via the GNB website, at gnb.ca/coronavirus

This past week has seen several new cases along with some changes to children’s testing and results delivery, so let’s dive in.

Early last week saw the announcement that the results of children’s COVID-19 tests would be available via a secure online portal. The site, www.myhealth.gnb.ca, allows eligible residents to login for their test results – once they are given a MyHealthNB registration sheet and access code, which they would be provided at assessment sites or emergency departments.

To view a child’s results, parents or guardians will have to first register their own account and navigate from that point.

Wednesday saw the outbreak at the Manior Notre Dame declared over. In a statement, Russell said outbreaks are a reminder of the growing caseload in regions around New Brunswick and across the country. The outbreak amounted to a combination of 44 residents and staff of the facility. You can follow cases in Canada by going to canada.ca, and you can follow cases in Washington County in Maine by going to the Calais Regional Hospital Facebook page.

On Thursday, the state of emergency mandatory order was extended for an additional two weeks.

On Friday, the province announced asymptomatic nursing home and adult residential facility staff can be tested every two weeks. To request a test, go to: www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/departments/ocmoh/cdc/content/respiratory_diseases/coronavirus/coronavirusexposure.html#/app/symptom-checker/guides/399/what-to-do

Also on Friday, new protocols for visiting immediate family to the province were announced. While previously restricted to Canadian residents only, the regulation now allows for anyone approved by Canada Border Services Agency and via the New Brunswick Travel Registration Program, which can be found at www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/corporate/promo/travel-registration.html

The definition of who is included in the term “immediate family” can be found at www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/corporate/promo/covid-19/travel.html

All visitors – even immediate family – must still self-isolate for 14 days on arrival, and should not be experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms prior to their arrival.

Saturday exposure notifications from the Moncton region.

The first potential public exposure was at the GoodLife Fitness Centre located at Junction Village Gym, 175 Ivan Rand Drive East in Moncton during the following dates and times:

• Nov. 6 between 8 a.m. and 9:30 a.m.

• Nov. 6 between 7 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.

• Nov. 9 between 8:30 p.m. and 10 p.m.

The second potential public exposure at Aldo Shoes, located at the CF Champlain mall, 477 Paul St. in Dieppe during the following dates and times:

• Nov. 6 between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m.

• Nov. 7 between 9:30 a.m. and 5 p.m.

• Nov. 8 between 10:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.

• Nov. 9 between 12 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

• Nov. 10 between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m.

Any resident who visited either of these locations during the listed dates and times should self-monitor for symptoms for 14 days. Should COVID-19 symptoms develop, they are directed to self-isolate and take the self-assessment online or to call 811 to be tested.

On Monday, a swish and gargle COVID-19 test for children was announced. Russell said this new method of sample collection will make testing easier for children and hence parents. Children between the ages of four and 11-years-old will be able to swish and gargle sterile salt water or saline solution in lieu of the nasopharyngeal swab.

Cases

Tuesday, Nov. 10

No new cases

Wednesday, Nov. 11

No new cases

Thursday, Nov. 12

Public Health reported one new case of COVID-19 Thursday in Zone 2 (Saint John region).

The new case is an individual 30 to 39. The case is travel-related outside the Atlantic bubble and the individual is self-isolating.

Friday, Nov. 13

Public Health reported two new cases of COVID-19 Friday.

The cases are:

• one individual 20-29 in Zone 1 (Moncton region); and,

• one individual 19 and under in Zone 2 (Saint John region).

Both cases are under investigation and the individuals are self-isolating.

Saturday, Nov. 14

Public Health reported six new cases of COVID-19 Saturday.

The four cases in Zone 1 (Moncton region) are as follows:

• one individual 19 and under;

• two people 20 to 29; and

• one individual 30 to 39.

All of these cases are self-isolating. Two cases are travel-related and the other two cases are under investigation.

The other two cases consist of one individual 50 to 59 in Zone 2 (Saint John region) and another individual 30 to 39 in Zone 3 (Fredericton region). Both cases are travel-related and are self-isolating.

Sunday, Nov. 15

Public Health reported three new cases of COVID-19 Sunday.

The new cases are as follows:

• one individual 20 to 29 in Zone 1 (Moncton region);

• one individual 20 to 29 in Zone 2 (Saint John region); and

• one individual 70 to 79 in Zone 3 (Fredericton region).

All of these cases are self-isolating. One case is travel-related and the other two cases are under investigation.

Monday, Nov. 16

Public Heath reported eight new cases of COVID-19 Monday.

The six cases in Zone 1 (Moncton region) are:

• one individual 19 and under;

• three people 20 to 29;

• one individual 30 to 39; and

• one individual 40 to 49.

The additional two cases are in Zone 3 (Fredericton region). They are two people 20 to 29.

All eight cases are self-isolating and under investigation.

As of Monday, the number of confirmed cases in New Brunswick is 375, with 341 have recovered. There have been six deaths, and there are 28 active cases. One individual is hospitalized, and no one is in an intensive care unit. Also as of Monday, 111,094 tests have been conducted in the province, or 14.22 per cent of the population.

As of Monday, the Calais Regional Hospital reported 51 active cases of COVID-19 in Washington County.

editor@stcroixcourier.ca