Mariner Hoop Highlights

Hal Mersereau

St. George – The Fundy Mariners varsity boys and girls left St. George Friday to NBIAA Sectional play, headed in different directions, but with one common destination in mind.

That destination was Harbour Station, Saint John. The date was Friday, Feb. 23. The occasion was to be the NBIAA Final Twelve.

Varsity Boys

The boys path went through Woodstock, where they entered the Sectional Tournament as the third seed from the Southwest.

In front of them was the first hurdle, their first game match up with the J.M.A. Armstrong Cougars of Salisbury, the second seed from the Northeast. If they cleared that hurdle, an even higher one loomed in the form of the Woodstock Thunder, the number one seed from the Southwest and a team that had rolled over the Mariners in regional play the week before.

A huge task for coach Geordie Doak and his players.

Here’s how it went: The first hurdle was cleared with ease, as the Fundy squad dominated the Cougars, scoring a 76 – 53 win, in the Friday night semifinal. Offense for the blue and white was lead by Owen Jones with 16, while Shane Brown had 14, Noah Anthony had 12 and Dylan Cooke added nine.

The anticipated Sectional final match up with the Woodstock Thunder, saw the Mariners come out on the short end of an 84 – 55 score and thus came the sudden end of their season.

Leading the scoring parade for Fundy was Tristan French with 16, with Noah Anthony adding 13 and Owen Jones eight. Seniors French, Brennan Sullivan, John Markey, Ryan Jones and Dawson Steen all played their final game in the blue and white.

Woodstock advanced to Harbour Station and will meet Rothesay in the AA boys final.

Varsity Girls

Coach Ryan Daye likely got the match ups he could best live with, coming out of regional play.

A match up with Tantramar and a potential match up with Rothesay was the best scenario for the Mariners.

Playing on their home court, the Tantramar Titans gave the Mariners all they could handle, in a very physical Friday night semifinal.

Down one at the half, and eight after three quarters, the Mariners dented the twine for 28 fourth quarter points, on their way to a 53 – 43 win and a date with Rothesay in Saturday’s final, and a berth in the Final 12 on the line.

Erin Ingalls playing with a broken nose scored 16 for the Mariners, while Emma Willard and Bella Jones had 13 each. Sara Fudge contributed 11 along with her board work.

In Saturday’s game against the Red Hawks, both teams left it all on the floor. While up two at the half, the blue and white could not sustain their lead and Rothesay prevailed 53 – 43.

Fudge led all scorers with 24, while Ingalls chipped in with 12 and Jones six. Guard Emma Willard went down with injury in the first half, shortening the Mariner bench.

Seniors Julianne Weaire, Abby Kernighan and Brenna Kelson suited up for their last Mariner game.

The Saint Croix Courier