St. Stephen – Chocolate Fest may look a bit different this year, but there are still all kinds of fun activities taking place from Sunday, August 2 through Thursday, August 6. Chocolate Fest Oversight Manager Jennifer Lord said the activity boxes for kids have completely sold out, and they are currently in the process of packing the last few to be sent out.
“Last week was insane. We sold 170-ish boxes with enough supplies within those boxes for 309 kids. All of the activities are in the boxes,” said Lord.
Many of the activities for Chocolate Fest 2020 are taking place online, including a Zoom show featuring New Brunswick’s own British comedian James Mullinger. Lord said Mullinger “is hilarious”, and the organizers are excited to have him perform for this year’s festival. Mullinger has won awards in Canada, and does several shows around the country.
All events are listed on a schedule that you can find on the Chocolate Fest 2020 Facebook page at www.facebook.com/NBChocolateFest/. While most of this year’s Chocolate Fest is going to be virtual, there will be a few in-person events taking place as well, particularly on New Brunswick Day, including a Jellybean Run and a Treasure Hunt. The activities in the boxes are virtual, and participants are asked to post photos of their bark, cookies, and t-shirts online.
“There’s a schedule posted on our Facebook page with all of the events going on,” said Lord. “The ones in the box, they do on their own time and just send us in their photos or whatnot. We do have a few in-person events happening on New Brunswick Day. Our third event is on our schedule. It’s a Trivia Night on Wednesday, August 5.”
This year, Chocolate Fest is joining forces with 98.1 Charlotte FM for Radio Bingo, and in addition to a cash prize, there will also be chocolate prizes.
Here is a rundown of some of the fun activities going on during Chocolate Fest 2020:
Sunday, August 2 – Live Zoom show at 9 p.m. featuring comedian James Mullinger.
Monday, August 3
• Create Your Own Bark – Post photos of your masterpieces on the Chocolate Fest Facebook page.
• Jellybean Run – Participants are asked to pre-register online for this fun activity that will take place at David Alison Ganong Chocolate Park from 9 a.m. until 11 a.m. There are 1, 3, and 5 kilometer routes. The cost to enter is $5 per person.
• Treasure Hunt – This is a team activity, and teams must pre-register online. The cost to enter a team is $10, and the hunt takes place from noon until 5 p.m.
• Radio Bingo – Tune in to 98.1 Charlotte FM at 7 p.m.
Tuesday, August 4
• Cookie Decorating – Post photos of your cookie creations on the Chocolate Fest Facebook page.
• Create Your Own T-Shirt – Post a photo of your t-shirt on the Chocolate Fest Facebook page.
• Mousse on the Loose – Find the Great Chocolate Mousse around town and win a prize. Watch the Chocolate Fest Facebook page for clues on his location.
• Chocolate Fest Bingo – Click on the Zoom link at 7:30 p.m. to play bingo.
Wednesday, August 5
• Pudding Eating Contest – This is another virtual event. Post your video on the Chocolate Fest Facebook page by 10 p.m.
• Trivia – Pre-register your team of three to five people online for just $10 and play trivia games at the Ganong Nature Park from 7 p.m. until 9 p.m.
Thursday, August 6
• Colouring Contest – Post a photo of your artwork on the Chocolate Fest Facebook page by 10 p.m.
• Story Time with Tiffany – Visit the Chocolate Fest Facebook page for Story Time with Tiffany at 7 p.m.
• Paint Night – Check out the video tutorial and post a photo of your artwork on the Chocolate Fest Facebook page.