ST. STEPHEN – Charges have been laid against 26-year-old Jacob Joseph Lawrence Hanley of St. Stephen following two incidents involving a machete, says an RCMP press release.
Hanley was charged with two counts of assaulting a peace officer, and one charge of assault with a weapon via Saint John Provincial Court tele-remand on Friday, Sept. 17.
Members of the St. Stephen RCMP have been put on administrative duties following a shooting incident on Ross Avenue in St. Stephen on Thursday, Sept. 16, says an RCMP press release.
At approximately 4 a.m. on Thursday, St. Stephen RCMP responded to “an individual in mental distress” on Ross Ave. who was brandishing a machete.
The individual, now identified as Hanley, refused to drop the weapon, advanced on officers at the scene, and did not relinquish the machete despite direction from RCMP, which resulted in an officer discharging his firearm.
He received first aid for a gunshot wound at the scene and was transported to hospital. No other injuries were reported.
RCMP learned later Hanley was also involved in an altercation at a different residence near Ross Ave. earlier that morning, where he attached a 29-year-old man with the machete. The individual suffered minor injuries which did not require treatment.
Hanley will remain in custody until his next court appearance scheduled for Monday, Oct. 18.
The investigation is ongoing.